Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Well read.

I used to ask well read friends and colleagues for classic reading lists. What do I need to consume before I die? What are the best books? What are your musts? 

The result?

Next to nothing.

And when the sharing economy emerged with its listicles and bucket lists, I still couldn't find anything that was really right. Until yesterday. And it was in real-life, analog, bookshelf form.

A stressful, whirlwind stay at the Inn at Hastings Park in Lexington, Mass. gave my soul warmth, comfort and inspiration. On its shelves for guests, classic after classic, plus a whole section on cookbooks and food. 

If ever I need a respite, a retreat or to be taken care of, this is the place I want to be. And the list? Handtyped. A content original. 

The Foothills Cuisine of Blackberry Farm
Bouchon • Bakery
Gourmet's America
America Walks into a Bar
The Bar Guide
Of Sugar and Snow
Joy of Cooking
Gastonomique
On Food & Cooking
Robert Frost Selected Poems
Vegetable Literacy
Lidia's Mastering the art of Italian Cuisine
The Way to Cook
Bound collection of Cook's Illustrated
French Laundry Cookbook
Catch 22
On the Road
Walden, Civil Disobedience
The House of Mirth
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Leadership Lessons by Abrahan Lincoln
Common Sense
In Defense of Food
The Good Earth
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
The Trumpet Swan
The Great Gatsby
The City & the City
Uncle Tom's Cabin
To Kill a Mockinbird
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The Constiution of the United States of America
The Scarlet Letter
Tom Sawyer
Black Beauty
Collection of Hemingway
Collection of Edgar Allen Poe
Charlotte's Web
All the Shel Silverstein books
A Patriot's Handbook

And a sweet litany of children's books:
Stuart Little
Blueberries for Sal
Green Eggs & Ham
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
I Can be anything?
Sugar White Snow & Evergreens
The Circus Ship

No comments: